The archaeological site of Sutton Hoo, located in the English region of East Anglia, includes numerous burial mounds. Most famous among those is the ship-burial from which remarkably well-preserved, precious artefacts dated back to the early 7th century were excavated in 1939. The likely best-known finds from this grave (widely believed to be the last resting place of King Rædwald of East Anglia) are the famous Great Gold Buckle and the Helmet of Sutton Hoo, both significant testimonies of the quality of Anglo-Saxon craftsmanship.
The gorgeous one-handed sword offered here is modeled on a sword, or, more strictly speaking, on the fragments of a finely crafted sword hilt with golden cocked-hat pommel inlaid with garnets, which was unearthed from the same burial chamber. The prestige weapon's surviving components are on display for people to admire at the British Museum in London.
The blade of this beautifully detailed Sutton Hoo sword reconstruction is a classic Germanic, Dark Ages blade (broad, straight, double-edged). It is made of EN45 spring steel and features a broad fuller that runs almost its entire length on both sides. The parallel edges are unsharpened.
Just like the original artefact, the richly decorated hilt is made of several parts riveted together. The grip is composed of a wooden core bound in leather and adorned with antiqued brass clips or brackets. The composite pommel bar and the guard have both the same three-part layout consisting of an intermediate wooden layer between two brass plates. The pommel cap, made of brass and red enamel, closely replicates the intricate pattern of the museum piece.
This early medieval single-handed sword comes complete with a brown wood-and-leather scabbard with wooden suspension loop (max. belt width 5 cm) and antiqued brass throat and chape.
Please note that this sword is not a battle ready weapon. It is designed as a collector's or decoration/display piece and is not suited for combat reenactment. Besides its quality as a collectible, it is also perfectly suited as a prop, e.g. to complete your costume.
- Material: EN45 spring steel blade (high carbon steel, not stainless), leather-wrapped wooden grip with brass fittings, wood-and-brass guard and pommel base, brass-and-enamel pommel cap.
- Overall length: approx. 89 cm.
- Blade length: approx. 74 cm.
- Blade thickness: approx. 4.5 mm (cutting edges approx. 1 mm).
- Hilt length: approx. 15 cm (grip approx. 11 cm).
- Max. blade width: approx. 5 cm.
- Point of balance: approx. 17 cm from the guard.
- Incl. wooden scabbard with genuine leather cover, wooden suspension loop and antiqued brass fittings.
- Weight without scabbard: approx. 1.2 kg.
- Weight with scabbard: approx. 1.6 kg.
Shipping time: 7 to 14 Days.