This gorgeous Viking sword is based on a silver-inlaid bronze hilt excavated in 1830 on the Isle of Eigg, Inner Hebrides, Scotland. Although some blade parts were also found, these no longer survive. The original, beautifully detailed burial find is on display at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. Dated to the 9th or early 10th century, this finely crafted piece of Viking history is classified as a Type D according to Petersen's Viking sword typology.
As the blade of the original archaeological piece is missing, a classic Norse shape was chosen for this reconstruction, and this single-handed sword features some of the typical characteristics of a traditional Dark Ages sword.
The straight, double-edged EN45 spring steel blade has a broad fuller and unsharpened edges. The hilt, composed of a short, oval guard (approx. 10 cm long and 2 cm thick), a grip tightly overlaid with brown leather and a generously sized pommel, is cast from bronze. The guard and pommel are both richly decorated and closely recreate the highly detailed engraved motifs and patterns of the original artefact. Just like many historical examples of the time, the sword's pommel is a two-part construction. The blade's full tang is threaded to the lower, flat section, and the pommel cap is secured to the base with two rivets. The cap's beautiful detailing is accented by twisted copper wire inlays.
This early medieval one-handed sword comes complete with a brown wood-and-leather scabbard with antiqued and finely detailed bronze throat, chape and belt loop (max. belt width 6 cm).
Please note that this sword is not a battle ready weapon. It is designed as a collector's or decoration/display piece and is not suited for combat reenactment. Besides its quality as a collectible, it is also perfectly suited as a prop, e.g. to complete your costume.
A Damascus steel version of this sword is also available in our shop (Product No. MW0116040801).
- Material: EN45 spring steel blade (high carbon steel, not stainless), bronze hilt with leather- wrapped grip and copper inlays.
- Overall length: approx. 97 cm.
- Blade length: approx. 79 cm.
- Blade thickness: approx. 4 mm (cutting edges approx. 1 mm).
- Hilt length: approx. 18 cm (grip approx. 10 cm).
- Max. blade width: approx. 5 cm.
- Point of balance: approx. 12 cm from the guard.
- Incl. wooden scabbard with genuine leather cover and bronze fittings.
- Weight without scabbard: approx. 1.65 kg.
- Weight with scabbard: approx. 2.1 kg.
Shipping time: 7 to 14 Days.