This beautifully detailed Viking sword is a reconstruction of a finely crafted, remarkably well-preserved burial find excavated in Hedeby (also called Haithabu) and believed to have belonged to a 9th century Danish nobleman or wealthy Viking warrior. The original archaeological piece is on display at the Hedeby Viking Museum. The Viking Age site of Hedeby, the most significant Viking settlement and trading venue on the Jutland peninsula (close to the town of Schleswig, once on Danish territory and now in northern Germany), was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2018.
Shape-wise, this single-handed sword is a classic example of a Norse weapon as wielded by the Vikings. It features the typical characteristics of a traditional Dark Ages sword: a short guard, a straight double-edged blade with a broad fuller and a distinctive multi-lobed pommel.
The blade of this replica is forged out of tempered EN45 spring steel. The edges are not sharpened and the blade's full tang is riveted to the pommel. The wooden core grip is bound in red leather and features richly decorated brass rings on both ends. The approx. 14 cm long, 2 cm thick guard and the generously sized five-lobed pommel are cast from brass and closely recreate the highly detailed engraved motifs and patterns of the original artefact.
This early medieval one-handed sword comes complete with a red wood-and-leather scabbard with antiqued and finely detailed brass throat, chape and belt loop (max. belt width 6 cm).
Please note that this sword is not a battle ready weapon. It is designed as a collector's or decoration/display piece and is not suited for combat reenactment. Besides its quality as a collectible, it is also perfectly suited as a prop, e.g. to complete your costume.
A Damascus steel version of this sword will also soon be available in our shop (Product No. MW0116041401).
- Material: EN45 spring steel blade (high carbon steel, not stainless), brass guard and pommel, leather-wrapped wooden handle.
- Overall length: approx. 90 cm.
- Blade length: approx. 74 cm.
- Blade thickness: approx. 4 mm (cutting edges approx. 1 mm).
- Hilt length: approx. 16 cm (grip approx. 10 cm).
- Max. blade width: approx. 5 cm.
- Point of balance: approx. 12 cm from the guard.
- Incl. wooden scabbard with genuine leather cover and brass fittings.
- Weight without scabbard: approx. 1.45 kg.
- Weight with scabbard: approx. 2.1 kg.
Shipping time: 7 to 14 Days.