An aventail is a piece of chain mail, which in the Middle Ages was fastened to the helmet for additional neck and shoulder protection. Favoured helms were for example the nasal helmet, but most notably the late medieval bascinet or one of its versions, the houndskull or pig face helm.
This chainmail aventail from Ulfberth features an authentic jagged edge and a thick cowhide strap sewn to the top. The fixing holes are to be punched in the leather by the customer.
The FRW chain maille type:
This particular weave is made of flat rings, all riveted with wedge rivets (triangular rivets). It was a common mesh for chain armours of the European late medieval period. The weave is 4 in 1.
This type is called FRW (Flat Ring Wedge rivets).
- Maille weave: flat steel rings, all riveted with wedge rivets, 4 in 1.
- Large enough to cover the shoulders.
- Jagged edge.
- Inner ring diameter: approx. 8 mm.
- Ring thickness: approx. 1.6 mm.
- Finish: natural (lightly oiled).
- Length of leather piece: approx. 55 cm.
- Weight: approx. 2.4 kg.
Shipping time: 7 to 14 Days.
This is an original ULFBERTH® product.